Undoubtedly, mats are essential in the kitchen because it is a place where most slip accidents happen due to water or oil spills. Mats not only saves you from injury but they also provide comfort and support from long-standing in a particular position.
However, these kitchen mats can get extremely dirty. Cleaning becomes a tedious chore as we are dubious of how to clean kitchen mats properly.
Not all kitchen mats are the same. Kitchen mats for hardwood floors are made of various materials, and each material can react differently to detergents. Some are built from tougher materials, while some can’t withstand harsh chemicals or vigorous scrubbing.
Even anti-fatigue mats for kitchen are made from different materials, and each king should be treated accordingly. You can check our test pick for the best kitchen mats for hardwood floors.
In This Article
How to Clean Kitchen Mats [Foam, Gel, Rubber, Cotton, Fiber]
Anti-fatigue kitchen mats are composed of different materials like rubber, foam, and gel. Therefore, techniques for cleaning or washing them are different. Let’s find out how you can clean kitchen floor mats of different types.
Washing Rubber Mats for Kitchen
Follow this method to clean rubber kitchen floor mats easily:
- Rubber mats for kitchen should be cleaned outside in an open space so the water can drain easily and mats can also dry quickly.
- After taking the mat out for cleaning, tap them against the wall or with your hands to remove the loose dirt from it.
- Use a hose to rinse it with water so that all the stuck dirt washes away.
- Next, make a solution of mild detergent or dishwasher and water.
- Spray the solution on the mat. And use a suitable brush that can thoroughly reach the nooks and corners of the rubber mat.
- Use a large bristle brush for simple-textured mats; and a hog bristle brush for textured mats, so it can be cleaned thoroughly.
- Rinse the kitchen mat with water to wash away all the detergent.
- If any stain is not removed, scrub and rinse it again.
- Dry the mat in the shade as sunlight can affect the longevity of the rubber mat.
Cleaning Anti-Fatigue Kitchen Foam Mats
Kitchen memory foam mats are ergonomically engineered to provide support and cushion to your feet while you prepare delicious meal for your family.
- The first step is to read the manufacturer’s instructions to clean the foam mat for kitchen.
- Secondly, there is no need to take it outside for washing. You can clean it inside the kitchen.
- Vacuum the foam mat thoroughly from both sides. Vacuum cleaning will clean dirt, dust, and other accumulated debris from the foam mats.
- Kitchen foam mats usually have printed waterproof PVC material. This print can get damaged by a scrubber or abrasive rag.
- You can only gently wipe it with mild soap water. Gently rub if there are any tough stains.
- Don’t use any harsh chemicals to clean it.
- After wiping it with soap water, use a damp cloth to wipe it again.
- Dry it using a microfiber cloth or let it air dry completely before using it again.
You may also like to check – How to Prevent Slips and Falls in the Kitchen
Washing Anti-Fatigue Gel Mats for Kitchen
Gel kitchen mats are specifically engineered to cater to the problem of back and feet pain caused by long-standing in the kitchen.
It uses a middle layer of soothing gel sandwiched between a designer top layer and a non-slip bottom layer.
- You can’t use a powerful vacuum cleaner to clean these mats as abrasive brushes can damage the top surface.
- Use a dustpan and brush to remove the loose dirt.
- Make a solution of detergent and water. Use a sponge to apply the soapy water. Do not scrub it hard.
- Next, use a clean damp cloth to wipe off the soapy water.
- Use a dry towel or microfiber cloth to dry it completely.
- You can’t use alcohol, vinegar, acetone, or bleach to clean the gel kitchen mat.
- Similarly, you can’t use steam cleaner, nor can you wash it with high-pressure water.
Cleaning Commercial Kitchen Mats
Commercial grade kitchen mats require more effort in cleaning as there can be more grease and dirt build-up due to high activity in commercial kitchens.
These kitchens mostly use commercial-grade rubber mats. Some of them have drainage holes too for liquids and spills to pass through them.
- These kitchen mats should be vacuumed daily or swept daily to remove tidbits, crumbs, and dust.
- For deep cleaning, you should invest in a mat transport or wash cart to carry the mat in an open area. The cart can make it easy to carry the heavy mats around.
- Don’t fold the mat as it can cause cracks in them.
- Use a degreaser, detergent, or mild washer and gently rub it with a brush.
- After rubbing it, hang it back on the wash cart and rinse it with a garden hose from both sides.
- Repeat the process if you see any stain left on the commercial mat.
- Let it dry on the cart before laying it again on the floor.
If you are planning to install wooden floor in your kitchen, you must read this pros and cons of wood floor in kitchen.
Cleaning Cotton/Synthetic Fiber Kitchen Mats
Not everyone uses an anti-fatigue mat in the kitchen. Some people like to use woven rugs or cotton/synthetic fiber rugs with a rubber backing.
The best thing is woven kitchen rugs can be machine washed.
Simply whack the woven rug to remove the dirt and put them in the washing machine.
Set the machine on a gentle cycle, use your choice of detergent, and voila! Your rug is cleaned.
However, if the mat is too big, then you shouldn’t wash it in a washing machine because it can get heavy in the water and can damage the washing machine.
Cotton/synthetic fiber kitchen mat with a rubber backing can also be washed in a washing machine, but they shouldn’t be cleaned in a machine frequently as it can damage the rubber backing.
Use a large load with a gentle cycle to wash such mats. However, if the mat’s rubber back has worn down due to long usage, then do not wash it in a machine. Else, the rubber backing will crumble and come off.
Always air dry such rags in the shade.
Cleaning kitchen mats is easy if we know how to clean them properly. The whole process is very simple and can be done quickly in a few minutes. In fact, cleaning kitchen mats can make it last longer. We have covered how each type of kitchen mat should be cleaned and hope this guide will be useful to you.